As the case of the army commander charged with rape and murder unfolds the alleged perpetrator’s attempt to kill himself has drawn attention to the prevalence of suicide in the prison system. While it is not surprising the suicide rate would be higher in an unpleasant environment such as prison, the article above cites the interesting fact that the rate is higher among pre-trial detainees than among those convicted and sentenced for their crimes. It seems the emotional shock of the drastic change in circumstances caused by recent incarceration together with the stress of uncertainty as to future prospects have a greater impact than facing long prison sentences with no hope for release.
- Supreme Court of Canada Issues Landmark Ruling In Drug Cases January 7, 2021
- British Court Refuses Extradition of Julian Assange January 6, 2021
- The Politics of Extradition January 29, 2019
- Major Changes To The Criminal Law In 2018 December 31, 2018
- Montreal criminal lawyers adapting to pot legalization October 31, 2018