Criminal lawyers along with the public have good reason to gripe about flaws in our criminal justice system but surely some comfort is found in articles such as the above, which relates how a gay couple in Malawi has been sentenced to fourteen years imprisonment with hard labour for holding an engagement ceremony! Reading how the defence lawyer unsuccessfully invoked the fact that no one was injured by the impugned behaviour and the actions of the accused were those of consenting adults in private evokes the similar words famously used by our former prime minister, Treacherous Trudeau, when legislation was introduced to update the antiquated provisions of our Criminal Code. And to think, we abolished this kind of legislated morality Forty years ago!
- Supreme Court of Canada Issues Landmark Ruling In Drug Cases January 7, 2021
- British Court Refuses Extradition of Julian Assange January 6, 2021
- The Politics of Extradition January 29, 2019
- Major Changes To The Criminal Law In 2018 December 31, 2018
- Montreal criminal lawyers adapting to pot legalization October 31, 2018