The new book discussed in the above article makes the point that the Harper government has given the Christian right faction a voice in government policy, much as Ronald Reagan did many years ago in our decadent neighbour to the south. While it is always difficult to prove such broad assertions, many Tory policies are consistent with the notion that the born again Christians have influenced the federal government’s agenda. These include the “tough on crime” posturing; attempts to cut foreign aid to countries promoting abortion, and the recent admonishment by a cabinet minister to women’s groups suggesting they “shut the f— up” about women’s rights issues in order avoid a backlash. It is also interesting to note Harper’s allegiance to an evangelical religious organization, the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church. Just as Reagan begat George W., what will we have to endure after Harper and his holier than thou disciples?
- Supreme Court of Canada Issues Landmark Ruling In Drug Cases January 7, 2021
- British Court Refuses Extradition of Julian Assange January 6, 2021
- The Politics of Extradition January 29, 2019
- Major Changes To The Criminal Law In 2018 December 31, 2018
- Montreal criminal lawyers adapting to pot legalization October 31, 2018