As lawyers with political connections again partake of huge fees at the public trough in order to reassure the voters that judges are appointed strictly on merit one wonders why the mass media, who are supposedly independent of political connections, don’t simply investigate and publish the backgrounds of those who have actually been appointed as judges. An easy starting point would be to ask criminal lawyers for examples of lawyers with virtually no criminal law experience who have been appointed to the criminal bench and then verify the political connections of the many instances which would be cited. Once it was demonstrated that less qualified applicants with political backgrounds were appointed rather than the more qualified ones it would become obvious that professional merit is not the main factor in judicial appointments and it wouldn’t be necessary to make the futile attempt to prove the exact process by which pals of the politicians are rewarded for their loyalty.
- Supreme Court of Canada Issues Landmark Ruling In Drug Cases January 7, 2021
- British Court Refuses Extradition of Julian Assange January 6, 2021
- The Politics of Extradition January 29, 2019
- Major Changes To The Criminal Law In 2018 December 31, 2018
- Montreal criminal lawyers adapting to pot legalization October 31, 2018